The VSM as a foundation for social systems in the XXI Century
SIM chair of the MIPT - http://sim-mfti.a133.nthosting.ru/content/?fl=393
leonid.ototsky@.gmail.com , http://ototsky.mgn.ru/it
Keywords: VSM , CyberSyn, complex systems , social systems, sustainability,
information and communication systems - ICS)
1. As it was predicted
by Norbert Wiener the ICT progress will be the core for a “worldwide state
in the next century” (in the Wiener’s terminology) . He has made this
prediction in his book “Cybernetics and Society” in the early 1950s where he
stressed the key role of the Information Technologies for the “
On the one side today’s ICT should permit a “nervous system“ for a global organization of human activities. On the other side technical, social, ecological and climate challenges are becoming sharper and there is a need to revise old fashion institutions to solve humanity’s deep problems.
2 . Wiener did not
provide detailed arguments for his prediction but we see now a great
activity in the ICT to create a “peripheral nervous system” of the
“Humankind Super organism” . Also there must be made a great of work for
creating the “central nervous system” of it . The beginning of
such work has been made by Stafford Beer in his Viable Systen Model (VSM
) . Beer not only developed the VSM theory but realized it in practice in
the CyberSyn project . It is significant that the Chilean Government gave a
grant for the “reconstruction” of aspects of the CyberSyn project in 2007. This
reconstruction is being exhibited at ZKM in
). It is reveling that at the same time of the Cybersyn
project, independently of the Chilean project, another similar project was
emerging in the
3. Yet in the early 90th in his “World in Torment” paper Beer wrote with great skepticism about the organization of modern society. With many arguments he wrote : “I estimate that more human beings are enduring agony today than ever before; the number could be greater than the sum of sufferers throughout history. I speak of starvation and epidemic; war and terrorism; deprivation, exploitation, and physical torture. I repeat the word agony; I am not talking about 'hard times' “ . Also he wrote: “Soviet communism has accepted its own demise; Western capitalism has not accepted it yet.” From wider point of view old styled institutions such as the UN could be radically changed according the principles of the VSM. Now we see some global financial problems as well but Beer described possible problems more than 35 years ago.
4. Taking into account the “recursive” structure of the VSM with the same System1-5 hierarchy at all structural levels there is a great need to use its ideas for lower levels of “recursion” constituting the “humankind’s global problems” . An implementation of the VSM at these levels could be a solid foundation for more global tasks. Such very hot topic to improve current business analytical tools for top management has close relation with VSM ideas and activities. Despite OLAP’s continued growth at a rate faster than most other enterprise software, there is no reason to be optimistic about their impact in improving the viability of enterprises. Still performance management tools are not using features such as “real-time dashboards”, “alerts” to monitor “suspicious situations” etc. However these were features of the VSM based CyberSyn project about 40 years ago - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersyn . In the late 80´s and early 90´s the operational director of CyberSyn, Raul Espejo ( http://www.cybersyn.cl/ingles/cybersyn/team.html ), developed the CyberFilter software package with the still limited PC capabilities of those years ( http://www.syncho.com/pages/pdf/Cyberfilter%20manual.pdf ). Modern ICTs, such as Internet mobile devices and wire free communication networks are capable of a much more sophisticated development of the VSM ideas, for example the development of “virtual” distributed ‘operation rooms’, which were at the “heart” of the CyberSyn project ( http://www.cybersyn.cl/ingles/cybersyn/opsroom.html ).
5. The VSM can be useful also for the development of ICTs. The challenges concern not only the new generations of ERPs and related tools (e.g. new generations of software for performance management in “real-time”, integration of MES and ERP etc.) but more significantly the development of “autonomic” programming systems too ( http://www.zurich.ibm.com/pdf/ebizz/idd-ac.pdf ) . Also there is a great need for new generations of Autonomic Intellectual Systems (AIS) (new generation of Robots ahead of all). It is not accidental that students of the the AIS have visited the Cybersyn “reconstruction” presentation at the YOU_ser exhibition at Karsruhe in October 2007 - http://picasaweb.google.com/Leonid.Ototsky/CybersynAtTheYOU_ser2007 .
6 . An interest to
the Cybersyn heritage is great now in
- http://razvitie-plan.ru/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ (rus) . The young generation of the group in
There was organized
a “Management Cybernetics” Portal
where took part some members abroad
. There was organized a
livejournal “ru_cybercyn” - http://community.livejournal.com/ru_cybersyn/
. Because the Victor Glushkov’s project of a
National Automatized System of Administration of Economy (NASAE) for the
http://www.ototsky.mgn.ru/it/presentations/Glushkov-Beer_heritage.htm . Although it is in Russian but there are two photos there.
7. The above are only few examples that illustrate the need to review Stafford Beer’s heritage in the benefit of humankind’s sustainability and evolution – http://www.ototsky.mgn.ru/vsm .
8 . And the global World Crises 2008-2009 only stressed a need to use the Stafford Beer’s heritage . Yet in the early 90th he wrote “Soviet communism accepted its own demise; Western capitalism has not accepted it yet” – http://ototsky.mgn.ru/vsm/ .
9. The Challenge today is to implement, with our current methodological and technological developments, a “global” project like that was developed in Chile in 1972- 1973- http://ototsky.mgn.ru/it/lessons.htm